Social Media Patient Policy
There are many social media platforms that are widely used by both staff and patients; these include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn. At MHS we have a facebook page, which provides a range of useful information for our patient population.
Maryport Health Sergvices has a duty to maintain patient confidentiality and to safeguard vulnerable patients. You can help us achieve this by adhering to the code of conduct outlined in this policy.
Patients at MHS are expected to adhere to the following code of conduct at all times:
1. The practice requires all users of portable devices to use them in a courteous and considerate manner, respecting their fellow patients. Portable devices are not to be used during consultations.
2. Patients are not permitted to disclose any patient-identifiable information about other patients, unless they have the express consent of that patient.
3. Patients must not post any material that is inaccurate, fraudulent, harassing, embarrassing, obscene, defamatory or unlawful. Any such posts on the practice Facebook page will be deleted by the practice manager and the post reported.
4. Patients are not permitted to take photographs in the waiting room or areas where other patients are present, nor are photographs of staff permitted.
5. Patients must not post comments on social media that identify staff who work at the practice.
6. Patients are to use NHS Choices should they wish to leave a review about MHS. This will enable the practice manager to respond appropriately.
7. Defamatory comments about our team are not to be shared on any social media platform. Legal advice will be sought and the appropriate action taken against any patient who posts defamatory comments.
Patient complaints on social media
We have a separate complaints policy which patients are to use should they wish to make a complaint. We will only respond to complaints made to the practice in accordance with the practice policy. If a complaint is made on the practice Facebook page, it will be deleted.